Udzungwa Mountains National Park
World Biodiversity Hot spots
Tanzania Destinations - Udzungwa Mountains National Park
The National Park Udzungwa was created in 1992 and formally opened by Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, former President and founder of the World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF). The word “Udzungwa” originates from the word “Wadsungwa” referring to one of the indigenous “Hehe” tribes who once lived in mountain slopes.
The park has an area of 90km2, where 20% of the total area is located in Morogoro, the remaining 80% is in the Southern Highland of Iringa.
Attractions of the park
These are places that can be visited in the park, often for their natural or cultural worth inherent or exhibited, historical importance, natural or architectural beauty, offering leisure, adventure and fun.
The park includes a lot of natural waterfalls as river rivers run and the heavy forest produces amazing sounds.
Natural walking trails
The Park offers the opportunity to reach Luhomero and Mwanihana’s highest peaks. The activity can be performed best all the year, however for most mountain climbers dry season is the optimum period.
Amphibians and Reptiles
Endemic Udzungwa Lizards (Cnemaspis Udzungwae) and Udzungwensis Reptiles and amphibians with endemic chameleons. Udzungwensis (Bearded pygmy chameleon).
Tropical Rainforest with 2500 types of diverse plants, including 3 indigenous plants and 160 therapeutic value plants.
Tour ideas to get you dreaming
Our favourite tours showcasing the best of Tanzania Wildlife Safaris
Let's plan your trip
Enquire now and a Travel expert will get back to you within 24 hours.